Tuesday, December 28, 2004

now what should I say to that? (lost cellphone story part#1)

so, I lost my cellphone a week ago or so. i switch my number the next day to an old-ass phone and begin checking my voicemail for messages left during my separation from my number.
guy leaves message ..."yeah, somebody called my phone from this number. call me back."
so I call and tell him that I dropped my phone on the street somewhere and whoever found it must be someone who knows his phonenumber by heart.
I convince him to help me get my phone back somehow.
guy is pretty street, as far as I can tell, but nevertheless quite honest. calls me back a few times with speculations about which of his boys might have that nice nextel. finally, after a few days he calls again and tells me he noticed one of his friends with his new treasure. It's my phone.
That's great, I say (trying not to say 'fantastic', 'fabulous' or any similar kind of dorky-white-chick or funny-gay-man words). "I'm so excited!" (realize, shouldn't have said that either. sounded just as above established stereotypes.)
"Yeah, well," the guy says, "I don't think he's gonna give it to you, though."
"Ehm, why are you calling me then?" I say. "Are you teasing me?"
"Well, maybe he could give you your sim-card ...or maybe you could work out a deal," he says.
work out a deal? I wonder, the guy found my phone...what kind of deal will he prepare for me? Will I have to buy back my phone?

mediator guy (Jose, I find out is his name) tells me once again that he's going to call me back.
Days pass by and he finally calls this evening telling me I could meet the guy who has my phone and I should set up a date and time.

Well, I'm really not planning to buy back my phone (given that I got it from my job...i.e. never paid a dime for it), ...and the sim-card won't fit in this stupid old phone I am using now anyway. But I am really intrigued to find out what the hell this dude is going to say (Hi, nice to meet you ...I ain't givin' you your phone, just so you know.";) , ...so I am meeting those two tomorrow eve.

Wish me luck.

No comments: