Monday, December 13, 2004

moving on where/what/why?

Dario is once again ready to move on. Mr. A.D.D., I tell you.
Aren't you happy in our new place," I asked him, "I mean, we just moved here barely a year and a half ago. It's possibly one of the best deals one can find in NYC but already you are unhappy and want more or different things. Don't you like our view of the water reservoir or the GW Bridge? Do you feel cramped in our 1000 sq.feet? Is the $300 mortgage too low? Does it make the place seem less worth? What about the 15 min. commute to work? Too short?
- "no", he said, " I just want to move on. I'm ready. I want a house already. Or I want to move out of NYC. I've been here all my life."
- "did it ever occur to you that you might not be able to be happy? cause I'm seeing a pattern here. Your enthusiasm is great before getting ANYTHING that's new or different but it always wears off quickly and then your comments go from "I would be so happy with this [...]" to "I hate this [...]". ... the car, the dog, every place we ever moved to, ...you name it."
- "I've wanted a house for a long time. I'm ready."
- " I think you're romanticizing house ownership. It's no picknick. We are living from pay-check to pay-check now, how would we afford a house? Also, there is ALWAYS something broken in a house... always things to do and we both know you ain't doing anything unless we're at the verge of a break-up."

- "what about Austria?" he asked. "Are we going to move there or not?"

I really want to move back, I do. But I have come to the conclusion that this might be more complicated than I have thought. Before, I was only thinking about difficulties such as finding a job, me having to readjust to the Austrian work-ethic and coping with the fact that I will actually have to be at work by 8 a.m.
Furthermore, I worried about Dario's assimilation and employability.
It's just different over there. Much stricter. And Dario is worse with punctuality than I am.
Also, he speaks no German. ...
And what about the stupid politics ... and the lack of diversity.
Ok, granted ... politics over here very much annoying, as well....in fact, more so than anything else.... but I don't know if I could live in a country without black people. It would seem weird.
In fact, I don't think I could live anywhere in the U.S. where there is a lack of diversity... and I'm white (according to those damn check-boxes). ....
sigh... well..

AAHH. my boss just jumped into my office.
almost gave me a heart-attack.
I'm supposed to be working.... don't even have a pretend work-window up in the background, which I could quickly jump to in case of unexpected office-visits.
shit. ok. I'm getting back to work.
see. I'd be fired in Austria. ..It's even unprofessional to take any personal calls at work.
This widely spread practice here (chatting with friends online or on the phone) took me a while to adjust to. I still don't like it actually... don't have enough time.
ok.
i'm going.
bye.

No comments: