Sunday, August 15, 2004

toddlers. keeping you on the edge

Maia might only be two years old but she has the power to bring me to the edge like no other. It's always a different edge, though. Sometimes it's embarrassment, sometimes fear or sheer terror, sometimes frustration, and sometimes laughter that makes you wanna pee in your pants.

Yesterday it was the edge of fear for me.
We went to Wave Hill (nice little estate nearby open to the public) www.wavehill.org Anyway, we went up to the little fish pond. A very dark pond full of water-plants and gold-fish. Maia insisted on kneeling on the edge to dip her hands into the water. I figured, ok if I see her tumble I'll catch her. I'm prepared. Of course, Maia waited with her clumsy little self until I had my hands full, helping Dario with the baby. That very moment, in which D and I both were holding the baby, Maia fell head forward into the deep pond. My reaction was delayed, for I had to make sure D had the baby - only a fraction of a second but enough for Maia to be completely submerged in the black water and for me not being able to get a quick and good grip on her. Poor thing was under water for a good 10-15 seconds until I got her out. She took a moment to catch a breath and then broke into tears. My knees were bloody, for I had thrown myself to the ground with just a skirt on. Thankfully, I was able to make her laugh it off, although terror was thriving inside of me. All the what-ifs were twirling in around my head...
This is actually on of the big fears of mine...involving my kids, still so little. Pools, car-accidents, and for some reason...kid-nappings.
sigh.

Well, let me jot down a few funny episodes as not to depress myself...

we went to the pharmacy and as we are standing in line I explain to Maia that I need to get cream for Nayla's thrush. Maia looks at me with determination and explains at the top of her lungs. "Mami, I need to get cream, too!" She turns around bends over and points directly to her tush "...for my BUTTHOLE." ...
I was a bit in shock. Once again, I found myself confronted with the teachings of Dario to my little daughter. ...butthole... who says that?...

a worse anekdote to his teachings, however, is when we (Maia and I) went to the store a few days ago and as she is sitting in the shopping cart she lifts her behind halfway in the air and lets one rip so loud (and adult-sounding) that everyone around us just turned their heads in shock.
A frightening moment of silence....everyone thinking that was me.... me not being able to blame it on Maia, for that would sound childish and unbelievable .... and then, thank God, ...she calls out proudly : " MAMI, I passed GAS! :D"

No comments: