Friday, August 27, 2004

did someone slip extacy into my daughter's milk?

First of all, I admire all women who stay at home with young children and not go insane.
I think, I would have to be placed on suicide-watch if I had to do this (stay home with 2 young ones) all day, every day of the year.
I wonder, how 2-year-olds make it to their third birthday, at all. I mean, I can't expect every parent to be knowledgable, reasonable, well-read or somewhat controlled. Not that I am any or all of that but maybe some of it. How did toddlers survive in medievial times? How do they survive with someone who has no understanding of a child this age? ... I mean, at the moment, I just want to beat her all day and if I didn't know better I probably would. She is driving me up the wall and only a mother will understand. Now I FINALLY understand the outbursts of my mom. The few ones she had when I was around Maia's age and which I never forgot. A slap in the face, a time-out in the boiler-room, a good shaking in search for any sense in me. Don't get me wrong, these were exceptions to the rule ...I was actually raised laissez-faire (spelling?)...but I remember these moments like yesterday (although, this saying isn't to be taken literally, for I don't reallly remember what the hell I did yesterday).
Thus, I am being very careful (and very grown-up, although I don't want to be) to avoid any traumatic experiences for Maia. But I'm a ticking time-bomb so sooner or later, I'm going to give her that moment of shameful weakness of mine....where I tell her something mean or so... and she'll remember it forever.

No comments: