Sunday, August 22, 2004

harlem gospel for austrians

Today was a day so long I can't even see straight anymore. I've been up since 6 a.m., which is when my 2 year-old decided to begin her day of mischief. It wasn't even 8 a.m. yet and she had already stuck her hand into the toilet to fish for her bowel movements to check consistency, I suppose. Never mind the fact, that she had at this point already been dressed for church with the only church-qualifying clothes she owns. We're not really church-goers, in fact, I'm not even Christian (I was raised Islamic and would consider myself agnostic at the moment), however, my mother who is visiting from Austria wanted to see some gospel service in action, so today we became the only white people attending a beautiful sunday service at a baptist church in Harlem. It was really great and the gospel choir was fantastic. Thankfully, my mother decided not to dance to the music (as she told me later, she was afraid I would yell at her for such "embarrassing actions"), even though people at the service were quite living it. Shaking, dancing, singing, clapping, laughing, praising... ahh it was just great.
Of course, we were totally underdressed but Dario had warned me of that. "Black people go to church in suits" he said "soo, your tanktop skirt combination ain't cutting it."
Unfortunately I don't own any fancy clothes so it had to do. I put a cardigan on as not to look too slutty. Also, I made sure to carry the baby when I entered the church to divert attention away from my cheapy clothes.
In church I had a little epiphany.... as I was sitting realizing how good it felt to be spiritual and how little it mattered that I don't believe in the whole Jesus thing (i.e. seeing Jesus as God's son but rather as a prophet...as I was brought up) I thought about the possibility that all God really wants is for people to reach out for him. It doesn't really matter, through which church or which creed or which way ever, as long as you are reaching out to God. Even if you don't have a religion... and lead your life by morals and ethics everyone should know without a handbook... it doesn't matter. Just reach out...just find a way to connect.
And, I wondered, how is it that people still kill for this shit. God runs this shop called earth... who are we to decide who is right or wrong. Who are we to decide to take someone's life as punishment for whatever...
After the service I felt like I needed some of this spiritual stuff in my life more often. I felt good.

No comments: