Friday, April 22, 2005

isn't this discriminatory?

so, I went out with Rosa last night to try and catch a movie. We never made it due to two major accidents on 96th Street (one on the north side and one on the south side). We managed to exit just before everything came to a complete still-stand (north and south). When we drove back up-town 2 hours later, people were still stuck behind the south-side accident scene, sitting on the roofs of their cars, waiting. To think what difference just an instant makes. Had I taken a minute less in the bathroom before leaving, I don't know what part of that accident we would have been in. I wonder what happened to the people in the flipped over car ... or the ones in the completely smashed one on our side...
Moments like this bring me back to my perpetual state of accident paranoia. I think this is why I never have had an accident and I've been driving since I'm 13 (obviously, legally only at 18..in Austria, that is.). I am humble enough to never underestimate life in traffic. I always feel lucky to make it from point A to point B, and never take it for granted (and I'd say I'm not a bad driver, at all). There are other people I know, however, who are so sure of their driving they never seem to travel with this fear in the back of their minds. Take Dario, for example. How this man makes it anywhere the way he drives remains a mystery to me...but I am grateful for whatever it is that keeps that man out of trouble. He is a speed demon, runs red lights, cuts people off, makes u-turns out of this world...it took me years to get used to it and to stop bitching. Sometimes it's even funny to hear the quiet snap of the backseat buckle and passengers' transformation from relaxed to concerned, when they first ride with him.

Anyway, so we didn't make it to the movie and instead strolled around Times Square which was, at 11p.m.(!), still packed with people. This is why I love New York. The city never sleeps.
Rosa's wish was some time in Virgin Records. When it was my turn, I decided we could use a bit of dancing. And so we trooped over to one of my old clubbing-spots - La Escuelita - a gay (men's) club on 39th Street. Thursdays used to be best to go there. It was always packed, pumping and I could dance as dirty as I wanted to without any worries of some dude trying to come rub up from behind. Also, gay men know how to partyyy....so we always had a blast. At 2a.m. they always had a drag-queen show, which was just great. And the whole thing cost us 3 bucks to get in. Now, this isn't too long ago. Maybe 2 years since I went the last time. On Thursday nights, the club was always frequented by mostly gay men but also plenty of straight girls and some straight men.
Yesterday, however, Rosa and I were stopped at the door.
"Boys only, tonight," the bouncer said towering over us.
What? I was in shock. Since when? Why? Can they do that? Come ooon.
"You can come tomorrow," was the bouncer's reply.
"Tomorrow is lesbian night and that defeats the purpose of me coming here. Then it'll just be some girl trying to come on to me," I said, moping.
"You sure are vain," Rosa laughed, probably happy she didn't have to go to a club at midnight. ;)
So, I've been thinking about this. Can they do that? Isn't that discrimination based on the list of those things one's not to discriminate about? ...gender..

hmmm. either way...this sucks. this was a great clubbing spot.

1 comment:

Polgara, Sorceress said...

your a rock star kid, a rock star!